An Ontario caddis imitation made of calftail hair which has a durable high-floating wing profile...this is also taken to be a mayfly pattern...
Tuesday, September 15, 2026
THE BLACK BEAR CADDIS
NOTES: I developed this fly and tried it out a couple of years ago on my little Brook Trout Stream...An impending storm with thunder was coming but it was hard to leave because the fly made its debut with 6 small brookies in one riffle..They just hammered it..So I was very pleased and have used it ever since.
I have also added hackle and call that one a Bearstick Caddis...It can also be made just like an Elk Hair Caddis because I find bear fur clipped close to the hide floats as well as calftail and CDC. In fact it is a great replacement for CDC...just recondition it with silica powder. It is also highly effective when fished with the Leisenring Lift and retrieved because the fibers of fur trap air and leave a trail of bubbles like a comet tail..Highly attractive to fish...
I also make a B-Fly with bear fur as a replacement for CDC and this pattern has a thread body and a sparse wing of just a bit of bearfur with a wrapped thread head. This also works well too....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment